What works for me: One pot

On my most recent long trips I have used the Jetboil Sol Ti, but there has always been one pot which I have considered when packing for a trip, it is the Evernew 900 ml (ECA 252). I purchased this pot nearly 10 years ago and have used in it in many countries with many different burners.

Recently I have begun to reflect upon my experiences with the Jetboil and my increasing reluctance to carry a dedicated stove system such as the Jetboil.  My concern has been what is my backup plan if it fails? As a result I have begun look at alternatives built around my favourite pot.

MoGo Firefly & Evernew.JPG

The above photo shows the Evernew pot mounted on a small Ti stand and the Mogo Firefly (formerly sold by Gossamer Gear if I recall correctly).  I have used this combination in Scandinavia, along with many other alcohol combinations over the years, but efficiency and wind were always the main challenges for such burners. But the Trail Designs Caldera Cone system changed and has had an immediate effect on the suitability of alcohol, and Esbit, as backpacking fuels.

Alcohol

I have always sought packability (and durability) when preparing for a trip and as a consequence I experimented with the  Zelph StarLyte stove in conjunction with a Trail Designs Ti sidewinder cone windscreen. The option of using the plastic lid on the burner to save fuel was also appealing. However, my other desire has been to be able to light the burner with a Fire Steel and for this reason alone I have found the Starlyte stove to be less than ideal. The benefit of the system, however, is that everything can be packed inside the pot, including the fuel for a weekend trip.

PA192847

Inside the pot is the Starlyte burner, Ti sidewinder cone, Light My Fire Fire steel and fuel bottle. The total weight excluding fuel bottle is 180 gms.

On my most recent trip I used the Evernew Titanium Burner and Trivet inside the Sidewinder cone. The pot sits on the trivet raising the top of the pot about a centimetre above the top of the cone. The advantages of this system, is the capacity of the burner, the strength of the burner, as well the trivet disperses the flame across the breadth of the pot, finally it is easy to light with a fire steel. The setup is shown below.

Evernew Dinner

All packed away.

PA192851

Inside the pot is the Ti windscreen, Evernew burner, Trivet and mini light my fire. The total weight is  216 gms.

Gas

I prefer a remote canister stove for stability reasons and my stove of choice is the Fire Maple 117T, I combine the stove with either an aluminum windshield or the Trail designs Sidewinder cone.

PC010476

The weight of the setup with FMS 117T burner, Aluminum windscreen, Light My Fire Fire steel, is  265 gms. which is approximately 20 gms heavier than the Jetboil.

Wood Burning

When combined with the Trail Designs Ti Tri System  the pot can be used in wood burning mode, or equally on any wood fire. I like this system, but would be less likely to take it on a long trip, instead relying on a small stick fire when needed.

IMGP0973

PA192853

Inside the pot is the Sidewinder Ti Tri, Light My Fire Fire steel, tinder card. The weight, excluding the Tinder card, is 217 gms.

White Gas

The pot could also be used on White Gas stoves such as the two pictured below, you will require a stand for the Borde burner, as the one provided with the burner is a little heavy.

10360643944_984c6090ae_o

Concluding remarks

In closing, the variety of burners that can be used with the pot, plus its optimal capacity for my boiling water needs, makes it perfect for my purposes. Furthermore, the option of mixing and matching with various burners depending on the conditions ensures that the pot remains my favourite.

What burner would I use? I would use either the Evernew burner or a remote canister stove, and for winter I could consider the option of an invertible canister stove.  Though the conditions I experience in winter only require careful canister management, such as those described by Jörgen.

If I were to consider an alternative pot, it would be the Evernew 1300 ml (ECA 253), my reason being that in some cases I need to boil 800 ml or so of water and this would allow me to boil that volume of water, in one go, without fear of boiling over and most likely saving fuel as well.

Do you have a favourite pot?

This entry was posted in Alcohol Stoves, Gas Stoves, Gear, Stoves, What works for me., Wood Stoves. Bookmark the permalink.

16 Responses to What works for me: One pot

1. Snowpeak 900mL is my go to pot for solo use and an Open Country 2 quart for group or winter use.

2. Enjoying these posts. My pot is the same as yours for solo, and a 1.9ltr aluminum for 2. ti tri is perfect for one, but larger cone system for the bigger pot is much less efficient, and so in that instance find myself returning to whitebox duo (with a homemade pot stand) for more power when not using gas. have a new msr universal petrol system to try this winter season.

Thanks Sam for stopping by, I guess many of us use a similar volume pot, as indicated by David as well. I rarely melt snow so the biggest pot I currently have is a BPL 1300 pot with the "frypan" lid. I use this when my wife are hiking. If melting snow was needed then a bigger pot would be a must.

Thanks David, I am enjoying reflecting upon the gear I have used over the years and recognising that in many ways what I used, a long time ago, is pretty much what I prefer now. Interesting comment on the larger cone, I had not thought of that, I wonder if it is due to the larger space enclosed by the cone and a sort of cooling effect. I don't see myself returning to petrol systems, as the conditions I hike in are less demanding than the ones you are in. However, if I was looking for another system I would probably consider the Primus Ti Omnilite. BTW I was very impressed with your "The Outdoor Anarchist's Guide to Photographic Practice" post.

5. You're welcome. I added your blog to my feed again recently and I've been appreciating your writing. I offered up a view into my "go to" cook setup in response to your write-up which you're free to check out here: http://samh.net/backpacking/blog/2013/10/181.html

You actually got me thinking about whether I should get a cone for the BPL Firelite 1300. Hmmm TD incoming order.I am off to check your write up I suspect there are many of us who have a go to setup, and I would be interested in hearing others "go to" setups.

7. The stability and heat transfer of the Caldera system is very hard to beat.

Agreed, but that is why I find David's comment (see below) "but larger cone system for the bigger pot is much less efficient, and so in that instance find myself returning to whitebox duo (with a homemade pot stand) for more power when not using gas" interesting. David's comments make me wonder if there is an optimum cone after which there is no advantage of a cone system. Personally I would use a cone windscreen wherever possible, because it just makes sense, to me.

9. There probably is a point of diminishing returns as you and David hint at. I've always found wider/shorter pots better for my white gas stove to melt snow or when placing the pot directly into a fire.

Agreed, perhaps we could undertake a thermodynamics analysis, but in reality maybe we are down to " what works for you, in your hiking environment"

11. I'll leave the thermodynamics to Roger Caffin methinks.

12. Mark says:

Interesting post Roger. Seeing as you asked the question my set up this summer was a winner – Snowpeak Solo set and the custom Ti-Tri Inferno with the Evernew burner. I also (when my Scout broke) found that the LMF Mini was the best firesteel to use on the Evernew (much easier than the slightly bigger Scout).I carried some tinder card too but of course in Scandinavia one has the blessing of birch bark.

Interesting, the only LMF firesteel that has broken for me is the mini (but I still prefer it). As you have found I prefer the Evernew burner for its robustness and in conjunction with the trivet it seems to be the best option for heating water and efficiency. Regarding the pot, I have used the Evernew 900 ml pot for a long time and it is the one I keep coming back to, because it is the ideal volume and its diameter (when used with gas). In winter I may want a larger pot.

14. Mark says:

I have an Evernew set of pans too, the 900 and 1300 ml. I like them though found with gas certainly you got a hot spot that could burn food easily. I suspect working with an alcohol flame might avoid that.You may not see TGO magazine but Chris Townsend did a review of his gear for his Watershed Walk this summer and again gives the thumbs up to his Evernew/Ti-Tri combination.Do you use gas in winter? I am minded to use my Primus Spider (not unlike the Fire Maple you describe above) in Scotland in a few (dark) weeks.

I wasn't aware of Chris's article though I do know he uses the Sidewinder a lot, I suppose like you I prefer the Evernew burner, especially when you are a long way from anywhere. I use gas or meths in winter. More recently gas, this winter I will use the FireMaple stove, it can't be inverted but for me that is less of an issue. Also the burner on the FireMaple emits a wider flame patter and as I only boil water I don't get the centre spot that can come from some burners, especially when cooking as opposed to boiling.