Nordlandsruta: A few reflections.

Camp near Balvatnet

Some facts: Trip length of 335 kilometres over 14 days with a total ascent of over 10000 metres.
Days of sunshine 4; days of rain “the rest”.
Bugs, generally okay, in part due to the windy conditions.

The most used piece of clothing, Rab Demand closely followed by Rab Drillium pants, least used gear sunglasses and the sunscreen was not used at all.

The Nordlandsruta, is a marked route as opposed to a trail, often the only evidence of the route are the well spaced red T markers.

P7122037
The route ascends and descends crossing marshy swamps, passing over wet and slippery tallus which often means that every step forward results in half a slip back. Alternatively, there is the crossing of a fast flowing rivers, or worse the major extraction of a foot from a bog. The views were often framed by the hood of my jacket as the peaks disappeared into the clouds.

However, I enjoyed myself, I learnt a lot about myself, and the gear withstood the challenge, admittedly there are some items that I would change.

During the trip I developed the capacity to relax whilst laying on the ground in a severe rainstorm as well as appreciating the moments when the clouds parted,

Auronasa

I enjoyed watching the reindeer, near and far as they trotted up the hills.

Deer on the Horizon
I was amazed at how the flowers can survive in such conditions,

Flower growing in between rocks

and enjoyed relaxing whether it be by a lake, or on a rocky outcrop.

Relaxing beside Viskisvatna

Gear comments and reflections will follow in the coming days.

This entry was posted in M.Zuiko 40-150 mm, M.ZUIKO 9-18mm, Nordlandsruta, Olympus E-P2. Bookmark the permalink.

20 Responses to Nordlandsruta: A few reflections.

Yup, that looks about right for 'summer'…Looking forward to the TR (aka: postmortem)

2. The first photo is superb, Roger! Am just on the way home from four days in the rain, so know how it feels – it was enjoyable & fun, though a bit more sun could have been nice!

3. Mark Roberts says:

Yep, that looks about the kind of "summer" we're having so far too. Still, very atmospheric.No mention of mosquitoes so far, so that's a plus! 🙂

4. Peter Nylund says:

I recognize the weather. With the right attitude all weather is fine, though sunshine is finer. I would love to go on a little longer trips like you do, but that won't happen for another few years.

5. Welcome back to sunshine.

Thanks Joe, yep a postmortem is probably the correct word, stay tuned.

Thanks Hendrik, I was very happy with the first photo it was taken in between showers with the wind blowing, the site was the only sheltered spot I could find. I agree we can all tolerate the wet weather but need the occasional sunshine to add to the enjoyment (and dry the gear)

Mark, mosquitos were few and far between, the worst were in Sweden, once in Norway it was too windy for them I think. The cloud formations and colours fascinated me on this trip they wee certainly atmospheric.

Thanks Peter, I had a quick read of your report and interestingly I have been thinking of starting in Hemavan next year and heading across to Norway and then south to complete the Nordlandsruta. I will go back and read your report more carefully.

Thanks Niels, I am guessing you will be finished by Wednesday, how are the water supplies?

11. I was only going to Vejen and, was scheduled to return today Monday, but caught a lift to Vejle from a nice stranger, managed to get in late last night instead. I planned my water carefully, since it was needed in the heat (up to 30 degrees yesterday).

12. Robin says:

Heat wave in UK :-)Look forward to reading more.

A comment fromMartin Rye, with my response Martin said "Wet weather in summer. Shame. I bet you wished you had taken a big Mid to dry kit out in and have some space in all that wet weather? Anyway photos look superb and I will call again read the report."Thanks for the comment Martin, interestingly the big mid, nearly went but I decided not to, the decision maybe different next year, though I was still pretty happy with the Moment DW, review coming soon. I appreciate the comments on the photos.

15. Morten says:

The weather you experienced sounds preferable to the 25 degrees in the shadow (what shadow above the tree line) I experienced in Jotunheimen causing a huge shortening of the trip 8 days -> approx 3 days.

Morton, sorry to hear you shortened your trip. I suspect what we both needed was the "happy" medium, not too warm and not too wet, btw I did hear that the weather was good down south.

17. Morten says:

Don't be sorry I did have a great trip which I expect you also had. I came back this Saturday. Only Friday afternoon I had a little wind, a few rain showers and some distant thunder else blue skies with a few fluffy clouds – actually perfect just 10 – 15 degrees too hot.

Fair comment, Jotunheimen is a beautiful area and one of the many places I would like to go back to. By the way, what shoes and shelter were you using?

19. Morten says:

It was my first time to Jotunheimen, but I am sure I am going back – still want to go Besseggen even though it's very touristy.I am not a keen light weighter (but trying to reduce the weight) but more of a "traditional" hiker. I am using Meind Island Pro MFS boots and a Terra Nova Laser. Both pieces of equipment works very good for me though my big toes get kinda numb.

When I climbed Bessegen in 2009 I was somewhat taken aback by the crowds having spent the previous 5 days seeing one or two people a day at most. Perhaps my biggest shock was arriving at Gjendsheim and finding that there was no beds available, and the prices for showers etc. was higher than I had expected. I know better now. On the 2009 trip I used the Laser Comp.