Nordlandsruta: Where am I going?

According to Traildino the Nordlandsruta commences near Narvik and concludes at Børgefjell, however, I will join the route in Suitjelma. To get to Suitjelma, I have chosen to travel by night train to Murjek and then bus via Jokkmok to Kvikkjokk, a trip I did in 2011.

Mist rising from Vájmok

After a boat ride across Kvikkjokk Delta I will follow the route along the Padjelantaleden in 2011  past Njunjesstugan to a campsite as nice as the one I found on my last trip.

Campsite beside Tarraure
The following day I intend to climb up to Vaimok, passing by the emergency shelter as well as some delightful campsites.

Gurajavre
Ideally it will be sunny as I pass through the area, boulder hopping my way to Vaimok, my intention is to camp above the waterfalls at Vaimok. The following day there is a long descent into Pieskehaure after which I will continue ideally camping as close to Lomihytta as possible and adjacent to Lomivatnet.

The next day will be shopping day, and as the shop(s) in Suitjelma are closed on Sunday, I need to ensure that I am there no later than Saturday so that I can resupply. I also hope to take some time to have a closer look at Suitjelma glacier. Then its southward, firstly passing Calalveshytta and on to Balvatnet which has been described as a very beautiful place. Here you can take a real time (almost) look at the conditions.

Southwards, ever southwards, passing the refuge shelter at Argaladhytta on my way to Trygvebu, from here I swing west to Lønsstua and then on to Krukkistua. I am looking forward to this section as it includes Saltfjellet, as well I will cross the Arctic Circle as I head south. After Saltfjellet the journey continues southward ultimately arriving at Umbukta Fjellstue where a food parcel will be waiting for me (I hope) Then southwards along the marked DNT trails before arriving at Harvasstu. Harvasstu is located adjacent to the border of Børgefjell National Park and as a consequence the trails end soon after leaving the road.

The final section crosses Børgefjell National park and as a designated wilderness area it has no marked trails resulting in the need for good navigational skills.  Hopefully it will be reasonable weather allowing views of the higher peaks in the National Park. Importantly, this year is also the 50th anniversary of the National Park and undoubtedly I may meet others in this very special year. I anticipate spending 2 or 3 nights in the national park before descending to Namsvatnet and a boat which will deposit me near Børgefjellbua from there I will need to find my way south to Røryvik and ultimately to Namskogan railway station for the journey home via Trondheim.

All in all about 500 kms in a little over 3 weeks, should keep me busy at least.

This entry was posted in E1, Nordlandsruta. Bookmark the permalink.

9 Responses to Nordlandsruta: Where am I going?

1. Now I am getting seriously envious :-)It certainly sounds like a wonderful hike. I have visited most of the areas on the Swedish side and can vouch for them.

Perhaps, I should have made it sound less interesting, e.g.. Mosquitos, hills to climb, mud … Seriously though Iceland seems like a good alternative.

3. Mark says:

Sounds really good. As I've said before with the Saltfjellet Fjellkarta in my collection I have thought about it over the years (linear east-west from V'jolme to Bodo or Narvik). Borgefjell sounds enticing too, just my sort of thing.Dont panic though, the supermarket in Sulitjelma is open on a Sunday though closes earlier (5?, I learnt that last year when there was nowhere to buy beer after my third Sarek trip). Good luck with all the logistics (parcels!) and other planning – the weather up there has been superlative to date this spring!

4. Mark says:

Actually, just checked my maps. Borgefjell just over border from Gaddede (my supply point 2) and I am walking in its Swedish equivalent (contours not as tight, typically, as the Norwegian side) towards end July (looking forward to that bit as I shake off the forest tracks of Jamtland and cross into Lappland). Conceivably we could be moving around about 40 kms or so from each other at the same time and sharing the same weather!

Thanks for the tip on the supermarket in Sulitjelma, their website suggest otherwise, but I expect that I will be there on a Saturday anyway. I have been looking at the cameras and yes the weather is good at the moment, which probably means that much of the snow will have thawed though looking at the Lomivatnet camera, there is still a lot around and with temps of 6C early today it is not actually summer yet.

And hopefully it will be good weather.

500kms of wild land. Go enjoy. Look forward to reading all about it.

Thanks martin, yep there will be photos and a report or two. Eagerly awaiting your TGO report.

9. Julie Mundy says:

Lucky, lucky, lucky you! Sounds an amazing trip.