Inspired

Over the past few months I have been reading Willem’s excellent reports on his Transscandinavia 2012 blog  and following the development of Mark’s plans on the Gronbandet, I have also been influenced by my meetings with hikers on the Norge på Lange (walking the length of Norway, about 2500 km in about 3 months). However, I have had to scale back my plans a little. I am also attracted to the concept of walking the length of the E1 form the Denmark Germany Border to Nordkapp in Norway, about 3700 km.

Now because of other commitments completing this is one trip is not an option and to be honest probably not my idea of fun, though I would love to try a trip of 4 weeks or more and see how I fared.

My plan has evolved to the following, starting in Kvikkjokk, because I want to, and then head to Suiltjema and do a resupply from there it is south on the Nordlandsruta passing through Saltfjellet and Børgefjell nasjonalpark which is having its 50 year anniversary. With a distance of around 500 km, this will most likely be as far as I get, but, you never know. I will have a second resupply point at Umbukta Fjellstue.

The key is ordered

The maps and gps files are organised, I have undertaken my initial planning with UT.no , Frikart

My gear this trip will be similar to my last trip up north, I will be using the HMG Porter 4400 (formerly known as the Expedition Porter), a Tarptent Moment DW, which has all the features I like about the Notch along with a hoop pole and I will take the optional Carbon fibre pole for extra storm support. My stove will most likely be the Jetboil, though I keep toying with the idea of a Ti Tri Caldera. Most other gear will be unchanged, though I will be using the Klymit Static V, heavy, but this the mat I look forward to sleeping on after a long day.

I will write more  in the coming weeks as my plans are finalised.

This entry was posted in E1, Nordlandsruta, Norway, Tarptent Moment DW. Bookmark the permalink.

11 Responses to Inspired

Sounds like a splendid way to spend your summer! Working in a school has three main benefits: Summer holidays, Christmas holidays, Easter holidays ;)Thanks for the link to Frikart, looks very interesting, as I'm about to buy a Garmin GPS unit.

Go for it and we will read all about it.

3. Mark Waring says:

Wow – sounds very good. I had an eye on that route south from Sulitjelma through Saltfjellet, it looks great. I look forward to reading about this when you are done. Sadly you wont get to test the reliability of the Sami boat over Mavas before me, oh dear!I would go for the Ti-tri (thats what I am using). I just think meths/metho is more reliably sourced in Norrland and you have the wood option too.

Ahh but you forgot the students who are also a benefit, as they help me to stay inspired. The Frikart link came from our good friend Jörgen.

Thanks Martin, stories will be written.

Sorry about the Mavas boat, I am now trying to organise the boat across Namsvatnet. My main issue with meths in this case is I am not sure of any reliable supply south of Sulitjelma meaning I would need to carry about 20 days supply admittedly wood is an option.

7. Mark says:

It sounds a good project. Borgefjell looks good too, I spent some time looking at the Norwegian side planning my route and can see how attractive it is. You post reminded me to check my own DNT key is at hand for packing. Amazing piece of kit that tiny little key!

Currently waiting for my key, at least for the first week or so I will be close to DNT huts so the key will be very useful, but in Børgefjell, wikipedia describes it as "inaccessible and undeveloped … with few trails … Visitors can hike for extended periods without seeing another person." and looking at the map you soon realise there are no trails, no huts, all sounds like fun to me.

9. That should be a very interesting trip! Good idea to pass through Borgefjell, which really is an underrated region.Looking forward to your detailed plans!All the best,Willem

10. Mark Waring says:

Yes, heading south out of Sulitjelma there are some good huts (and indeed heading to Sulitjelma, I was particularly impressed by the Norwegian Sajasjaure huts – real contrast to the Swedish one). Equally, I don't use huts but its good to know roughly where they are as a back up. Some of the Norwegian huts are exquisite and you get a real sense of their unique mountain culture. Most in 'Nordland' are locked (selvbjent (?)) and a real contrast to the full service complexes of the south.

Thanks for stopping by Willem, I need to finalise the plan especially south of Umbukta, and will b re reading your report on that section. Although I think you go a bit further west than I plan to.