Jetboil Sol Ti Long term perspective

8597171105_d9fe83a6f7_o

I purchased a Jetboil Sol Ti in June 2011 since then I have used it on 2 trips to Lapland as well as many local trips.  In total I have used it for more than 50 nights, boiling more than 70 litres of water in that time.

Now the astute amongst you will have noticed that last year (2012) I wrote about a Jetboil failure which in my case was due to the thread on the burner becoming stripped and thus unusable, as I wrote at that time the thread was all aluminium whilst the newer ones are brass. The failure of the threading maybe user error, though the use of a brass insert will minimise such issues. I obtained a replacement burner from Spejdergear and have now returned to using the stove.

How are them fins?

Firstly lets take a look at the heat exchanger, as you can see there is some corrosion, but it is minor,

P3281082

and inside?

P3281084

My set up
The Jetboil comes with a  stand, as well as  cup which is used to protect the fins during transit.

P3281085

However I found the cup to be of little use and experimented with a number of setups, ultimately I found that a  Ziploc 473 ml pot and cozy (or Multix 450 ml, in Australia) works as a protector and also performs the role of cup/bowl. The ziploc cozy can also be used to insulate a gas cartridge from the cold.

P3281086

P3281092

The lid on the Jetboil is effective and fits tightly to the pot, however, there are other options. For example the lid from the ziploc container will fit, be warned that the possibility of  the lid melting, or “lid lift off” may occur as the water approaches boiling point. A Sea to Summit X mug will also fit as a lid, but the same caveat applies.

P3281095

If you are looking to save weight the the Ruta Locura CF lid #2 fits nicely.

P3281100

Gas Usage
On my most recent trip the temperatures were never above zero, and plummeted to -8C one morning. I started with a new Jetpower 100 gm canister, and over the 4 days, having boiled approximately 3.2 litres of water I used 40 gms of gas, or about 13 gms of gas per litre of water boiled, which confirmed my usage figures of the past two years in cold weather. In warm weather I expect to use about 10 gms of gas per litre of water boiled.

When comparing the stove and gas usage to other stoves it is clear that the Jetboil Sol Ti is a gas miser and on long trips you will carry less gas than any other gas stove. The drawback of course is what happens if …? My feeling now is that as long as the pot holds water then a simple fire can be used to heat the water, which for me is fine as I only ever boil water for food.

Will this stove head north this summer, yes.

This entry was posted in Cooking, Jetboil, Stoves. Bookmark the permalink.

9 Responses to Jetboil Sol Ti Long term perspective

Still no signs of catastrophic failure with mine either so I continue to use it but I have to admit I make sure to use it in places where a 'meltdown' won't compromise the safety of myself or my shelter. But what if it did fail? Would you buy the latest version and hope that Jetboil had addressed the obvious issue? Switch to the Al version? Go back to a MRS PR or similar?

I have had issues with mine and it’s a good kettle, gas efficient and useless cooking food with. Were my Flatcat Epicurean can run on simmer for 40m minutes with a 14g esbit tab. That is efficient.

3. S Dv says:

Thanks for sharing the results. I had almost the same: early summer in Jotunheim (Norway), +5C. 100grams for 8.5 liter plus 27-30mins for cooking (soup or a kind of oatmeal).

Thanks Martin, those flatcat stoves do look good, though these days I prefer gas or metho stoves to Esbit. As I only ever boil water for freezer bag type meals then the Jetboil works fine. If you want to cook a meal, simmer etc. certainly there are better stoves around for that purpose. Have a great TGO.

5. johnabela says:

Oh come on now neilsen… you are never going to leave behind a jetboil for an inverted canister stove ;)Just wanted to stop by and say nice article on this. Love the idea of using a ziplock container rather than the default cup. Giving that a try. And regarding the lid… as heavy as it is, it just works really well, so I have not been able to give it up yet.Zero problems with the redesigned version I have been using.

Thanks John, glad you like the ziplock idea, I had it sitting around having used it before and realised that it was a nice fit. I agree on the lid, but for those who are looking for ideas, I thought I would give what I had lying around a try.As for leaving the Jetboil behind for a inverted canister stove, maybe in winter, it will make life a little easier.

7. Thanks for the review, seems to be very efficient. But sensitive to be used during winter conditions and to not have water in the bottle before ignition. The heat exchanger in alu is likely to melt and breakdown if not careful? Maybe not a problem if you are aware of it.

Thanks MidnightsunMan for stopping by, I agree that the Jetboil is a good stove and if you monitor the HE then you should be okay, my only concern these days is HE failure on a long trip which may require some serious modification of the pot and stove for the remainder of the trip.

9. Pingback: What works for me: One pot | Nielsen Brown Outdoors