Icy Coastline

It was a grey and gloomy day as I set out from Korsør railway station through the streets of Korsør, home to the world’s oldest operating movie theatre (Korsør Biograf Teater) before following the Lagunestien around the frozen banks of Korsør Nor to Korsør Lystskov.

P2121618
By the time I had exited the forest it was snowing and I continued along the trail, then along the beach towards Skælskor. Walking along the frozen sandy beaches was easy, but the gloom and the cold made for less than ideal conditions. However, like every coastal walk there are always interesting sights to be seen, in this case it was the abundance of ice along the coastline, as well it was possible to hear the distant fog horns of the Storbælt bridge and the rhythmic hum of the ships sailing between the Baltic Sea and Kattegat prior to entering the North Sea.

P2121622
Furthermore, I was amazed by the swans and other sea birds who either found unfrozen sections of sea to paddle in or stood on the ice, as the snow fell and the wind blew. Finally I passed the impressive shelter area of Kobæk forest, complete with heated toilet facilities, before walking into Skælskør, at which point I began my journey home. Whilst cold and grey, the area had convinced me to revisit it and continue my explorations along the Sjællandsleden.

This entry was posted in Coastal Walking, Denmark, Sjællandsleden. Bookmark the permalink.

11 Responses to Icy Coastline

1. That sea looks bitterly cold!

2. Alan Sloman says:

ooh – That looks grimI think I would be settling beside the fire with a mug of cocoa…It'll soon be Spring!

Thanks Alexander, the sea would have been cold, however, I was intrigued by the various birds who happily stood on the ice and in the wind, obviously wearing warmer clothes than mine were, or is it because they are better acclimatised?

Thanks Alan, yeah grim is a good description, a mug of cocoa would have been nice as would a coffee with some extra warmth. I had planned a 3 day trip, but a warm bus home seemed like a better idea, I will be back. by the way the thaw has already commenced here, so spring ain't far away.

5. helenjfisher says:

That last photo is stunning! It is so tempting to remain indoors sometimes, when the weather is so cold and the wind biting, but you show how worthwhile it is to get out. Not many people would see what you've seen here. Wonderful!

Thanks for visiting Helen, it is true that it is much easier to stay indoors, but to be honest, I enjoy the cold and the solitude in such surroundings. Though, I think we underestimate how cold it can get along the coast at this time of the year and as a consequence we need to carefully consider our preparation for such trips.

7. Looking forward to see this myself soon. And icebreakers crashing through it =)

8. The birds have higher fillpower in their down-jackets. Fact is, some birds like ducks, have the capacity to turn on and off the circulation in their feet. They let the temperature in their feet go way below body core temperature and then give their feet a shot of warm blod ever now and then to keep them from freezing solid. A cold day byt the sea is a cold day indeed…

Thanks Hendrik, it was possible to hear the ships sailing through the ice out in the mist, they do have ice breakers here for the fjords but they get little use.

Jörgen, you are a fountain of knowledge, I have never studied how birds keep warm, but now I understand how they regulate temperature, thanks. I wonder if the northerners feeling the cold is due to the higher moisture levels in the air down south?

11. helenjfisher says:

That's a great point! Coastal winds can be more than bracing! Definitely food for thought there.