A walk, a camp and a touch of snow.

IMGP2099

I set off late towards Tisvilde Hegn and after leaving the station I headed into the forest, it was a cool, grey cold evening. But what really surprised me how calm it was, the sea was calm and with no breeze there was nothing to be heard. I wandered through the forest admiring the various twisted shapes of the trees, but being so dull the camera was struggling. After a while I set up camp and settled in for the night. Settling down after dinner I listened to Bob and Andy and their Christmas in a Tent podcast quite impressive and funny especially when the strong gusts of wind hit the tent, a contrast to my location. Soon I was nodding off to sleep to the sound of a Pearl Owl and later a Tawny Owl. IMGP2101

I awoke during the night to the sound of light rain, which I realised in the morning was snow.

IMGP2107
It was still snowing lightly as I exited the trailstar.
After packing I followed the coastline before heading inland, admiring the twisted pines with their light covering of snow.
I soon returned to the beach and looked out on a very calm sea with a few walkers out enjoying the calm. IMGP2121
I was amazed to see that the sword is still in the rock it appeared refreshed with its dusting of snow.
IMGP2129

For me it was back to the train and then home.

In closing have a happy holiday season and enjoy the trails wherever you may be.

IMGP2135

This entry was posted in Coastal Walking, Denmark, Pentax W 60, Trailstar. Bookmark the permalink.

14 Responses to A walk, a camp and a touch of snow.

1. Nice to see an accountfrom hiking in Denmark. And even with owls! I'm curious about theTengmalms owl (“Pearl owl”), are they breading in Tisvilde thesedays? That would be cool.

2. joenewton says:

Nice little adventure Roger. I really should embrace podcasts for long winter nights instead of taking along a book that I never get around to reading. Merry Christmas!

Thanks Mikkel, I listened to the owl, initially near the coast and then as it continued moving inland, calling out every so often. Listening to the sound of the owl on the Dansk Ornitologisk website it certainly sounded like the Tengmalms owl, as for breeding in Tisvilde, no idea.

Joe, I always save up the Outdoors Station podcasts till I am out on a trip, this one was particularly entertaining especially the contrast between my becalmed conditions and their camping in a wind tunnel. I took a book to Lapland this year which never got read while hiking, only when travelling to and from. Looking forward to all this upcoming ski trip reports. Enjoy.

5. Alan Sloman says:

That looks like a chilly trip. Have a good Christmas Roger.

Thanks Alan, yeah it was around zero, but fortunately no wind just damp, you have a great Christmas preparing that Christmas Dinner.

7. George_Carr says:

I love the feeling of being nice and snug whilst mother nature does what she does :). It's even nicer when the rain you heard turns out to be snow. Sounds like a nice trip, Roger. Thanks for the TR, and have a wonderful Christmas.

8. Robin says:

Nice one. Happy Christmas

Thanks Robin, enjoy your christmas also, I am looking forward to more insightful economic and outdoors posts in 2012

Thanks George, there was no doubt I felt snug and warm in the shelter, and the snow was a pleasant surprise in the morning.  Have a great christmas and holiday season.

11. Roger, always good to get out, even if it is brief. Have a Happy Christmas

Thanks Mark, have a great Christmas and new year, yourself.

13. Greg says:

Sword in the rock?! What's going on over there?

Yes Greg it is a bit unusual, though I have bumped into knights in armour in the forests around Copenhagen and other medieval folk, though I have usually been able to out walk them with my UL pack.