Along the Nordkalottleden: Björkliden to Kilipsjärvi

I am back from a fanatastic trip. It will take me a few days for me to come to terms with everything I have seen heard and experienced in so many ways. There are many photos and notes to sort through, however some highlights include

1. Awesome scenery; over every rise there is a new panorama
2. Wonderful bird life, including the hikers friend the Long-tailed Skua
3. Lots of water
4. Mosquitos but for me at least they were not a significant problem
5. Many reindeer herds
6. Ideal fishing locations
7. Great packrafting opportunities

and much more

Gear I was happy with my gear choices though I will make some adjustments for the next long trip. I will report on this in more detail later.

Weather: in summary 3 days of sunshine, 3 days of rain, 3 days of wind one of which was also foggy, and there was even sleet on the second day.

Over the coming weeks I will write a travelogue of the trip. For now it is back to reality with family from Australia arriving.

This entry was posted in Lapland, Nordkalotten Trail, Olympus E-P2. Bookmark the permalink.

11 Responses to Along the Nordkalottleden: Björkliden to Kilipsjärvi

1. Hendrik says:

Looks & sounds fantastic, Roger! Very excited to read your full write up and see all the photos =)

Wow Roger, dreamy looking landscape. You're very lucky to have experienced it. Looking forward to hearing all about it.

3. Dave Hanlon says:

Not to mention: 8. 24hrs of daylight in which to experience it all.Looking forwards to more photos and text. Glad it all went well.

4. Niels says:

Welcome home Roger, glad to hear that the trip was a succes.

5. dondo1 says:

This is the trip report that I've been waiting for. Hoping you got some photos of the reindeer herds.

6. Roger says:

Sounds like very pleasant trip, Roger.Awaiting the full report, with a lot of nice pictures.

7. Maz says:

Yes, have to say I'm looking forward to it too – especially on your journey there from CPH.

8. I am really happy that it turned out to be the experience you hoped for. Although I always claim that the great thing for me with backpacking nowadays is that it is always GREAT no matter what the weather is like. After a while you learn to cope and can just enjoy the unlimited freedom of the outer and inner landscape.

9. Mark Roberts says:

I'm glad the bugs weren't too bad! Looking forward to the write up and more of what look to be very nice pictures!

10. I want to take a nap in your photos!

11. Sounds like you had a great trip! The weather and conditions sound like the same than I experienced in the Finnish side though we had one real snow fall and white scenary for a while.Unfortunately I left Kilpisjärvi two days before you arrived there…Are there more pics somewhre to be found? Unfortunately I dipped my camera in a stream at th first day of my hike so no pics from my trip. =(