Organised Wandering

So the trip is planned, I will alight from the train at Björkliden on the banks of Torneträsk and then soon after be on the Nordkalotten as it wends its way north. Initially I will follow the shore line of Torneträsk and if it is warm with little or no wind then the mosquitos will want to be friends, but my friends will be a BPL Headnet and PreVent.

Initially my plan is to walk to Lappjordhytta a distance of about 15 km, from which I will then climb to higher elevations before searching out a hopefully bug free campsite. This will form the general plan for each day walking about 20 km a day along the trail and seeking a high campsite. There are many possible detours and peaks to climb so with almost 24 hours of daylight I will be taking every opportunity to seek out places of interest as I walk along the trail. Perhaps one highlight is the three countries border between Finland, Norway and Sweden, it may be at this point that I will take the ferry to Kilipsjärv instead of walking, time will tell.

Thus I have a starting point and time as well as an end point and time. However, I must remember that my finishing point and bus to Tromsø leaves from Kilipsjärvi which is in Finland and therefore Finnish time, which is 1 hour different to Swedish and Danish time.

Maps of the area
There are 3 Swedish 1:100 000 maps which cover most the of the route these are
BD 1 Treriksröset – Råstojaure
BD 3 Rensjön – Pulsujärvi
BD 6 Abisko – Kebnekaise – Narvik

However, the map the covers the entire route is a Norwegian1: 100 000 map which is

Turkart Indre Troms

I have photocopied the required sections of the map onto waterproof paper for day to day use but will carry the Turkart, just in case I fall of the map.

I buy all my maps from Nordisk Korthandel who provide an excellent in house as well as online ordering system.

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

19 Responses to Organised Wandering

Good luck avoiding the bugs! Going at that time of the year at least you know you won't get swept away in a flood or frozen to death in a snowstorm… 😉

2. Thanks Joe, I think I would rather floods and snowstorms, at least I would feel in control then : ) by choosing what to do. In mosquito country it is they that choose.

3. Roger, what kind of waterproof paper do you use, and were do you buy it?

4. Hi Martin, I use Toughprint waterproof paper which I purchased in the UK. It could only be delivered to a UK address when it was purchased. I have not been able to find waterproof paper in Denmark.

5. Thanks!Toughprint looks good. I have read about Xerox Nevertear, but haven't managed to find a local dealer for that either.

6. Some companies are also printing maps on Tyvek, this was especially common in the US but the Skåneleden Maps are also printed on what I think is Tyvek. If you visit the US website of dupont and search for Tyvek handbook you can find out more about printing on Tyvek. A form of Tyvek is available in Denmark. I ahve not tried this yet.

7. Roger, I don't know if Treriksröset is that interesting. I've never been there, but geographically it doesn't stand out. One place that I'd be interested in Pältsan. It looks like an interesting prominent peak. Is it far from your intended route?

8. Thanks Gustav, Treriksröset is a point I will pass, but at least I can say I have been there. The trail does pass below Pältsan and it like many other peaks adjacent to the trail will provide opportunities for diversions, assuming the cloud is high enough. Fortunately I have a bit of spare time so will go where the scenery takes me.

9. Hi Martin, I use Toughprint waterproof paper which I purchased in the UK. It could only be delivered to a UK address when it was purchased. I have not been able to find waterproof paper in Denmark.

10. sarah says:

is it possible to find a trail map of the entire nordkalottleden? also, i read in a different section that you carry a GPS….so you dont rely solely on trail maps? planning a thru hike this summer and having trouble tracking down a trail map!!

11. sarah says:

12. sarah says:

Thanks for responding!Are the available paper maps just general topographical maps of the region? how detailed are they? where can i find information like the distances between huts, for example, or between villages. you don't know of a map with the trail marked on it with destinations marked with details like food/shelter availability? i know that we will be carrying most of our food in and we are planning on camping most of the time in a tent, but we were also planning on spending some of our nights in huts and eating some of our meals in them (to cut down weight). do you know how i can figure out where the huts are and if they have food? to clarify: there are no trail maps, even of sections of nordkalottleden?

13. sarah says:

14. sarah says:

oops, sorry for the repeated comments!

15. sarah says:

i've actually found a pretty good source for trail details here (http://www.outdoors.fi/destinations/trails/nordkalottledentrail800km/trailroutedescription/Pages/Default.aspx) so nevermind about my last question.gear questions: for sleeping, I am planning on bringing a 15 degree F down sleeping bag and a thermarest pad. I am a young woman and kind of a cold sleeper…am I going to be cold at night? Should I bring a zero degree F bag?for wetness, did you put everything in waterproof bags in your pack? (like even your sleeping bag?)thanks, sarah

Hi Sarah, I was going to give you that link, it is the only one I have found. The maps listed normally show and label the trail. The only navigational issues are snow and fog, which can hide the trail in parts. I would think that your sleeping bag etc is fine. The temperatures rarely get below zero, though wind chill (as it was for me last year) can make it feel cold. I assume you are using a tent so this will also help to keep you warmer. If you are also carrying a puffy jacket and warm long pants they of course can supplement you sleeping bag.I would ensure that you use some type of waterproof system in your pack, in wind blown rain the water will certainly be forced through the pack material (unless it is a dry sack)I use a combination of dry sacs and the waterproof liner of the Aarn Pack. I have my sleeping gear and bag inside a dry sac inside the waterproof liner as I want to be warm and dry at night. BTW I intend to do the section from Kilpisjärvi – Kautokeino,  this summer starting in Kautokeino.

Food and huts, firstly they are marked on most maps. in Sweden the best source of information is STF http://www.svenskaturistforeningen.se/en/ though not all huts have food, the ones on the Kungsleden, mostly sell food as they do further south. The price of food and other items in the STF huts seems quite reasonable. In Norway it is the DNT http://www.turistforeningen.no/english/ again some huts are catered and some not, in the case of the DNT huts are locked and you need to be a member to get the key, it is worth it in my view. In Finland the huts are free and open as far as I am aware. But do not sell supplies.There are 3 main supply points in my view, Kilipisjarvi, Abisko and Ritsem. Though last year early in the season Ritsem only had limited supplies.Hope that helps

18. sarah says:

hello,good to hear that you're hiking the most northern part of the trail. i was wondering when you go? it seems like july/august are popular times…have you ever hiked in JUNE? will the rivers be impossible to forge?thanks, sarah

H Sarah, no I have not hiked in June, however, two years ago I me a New Zealander who had started in Kautokeino (in June) and he had problems in the Reisdalen Valley, because of high water levels. That was the same year that I found myself wading metre deep rivers around Inset because bridges had been washed away. However, last year I met a french hiker who also started from Kautokeino  at the beginning of June and had had no problems so, the answer is it will depend very much on the year and the snow levels.